Friday, November 21, 2014

“A Guitar A Day”
Installment #7 – the American Guitar Continued
Takamine & Godin Guitars


            Wow, the end of the series is already here! We checked out guitars that went from seven strings, four pitches and mustaches, to five stringers with wedding cakes, to six stringers with v shaped necks and pyramids. We took a quick look at the contributions of guys like Torres and Tarrega, and Perez, Tezano and Ramirez. I hope you got a chance to check out a few of the videos. Did you see Brent Mason burn his electric nylon string guitar down to the ground? Oops I spilled the beans, but don’t worry that video is coming right up! Speaking of electrifying classical guitars.
            My favorite electric/classical guitar is my Takamine CP-132SC. It’s not high end. I think I paid $500 for it back in the mid 90’s. But, it’s a working mans’ guitar. It sounds awesome plugged in, it’s rugged, it holds up to temperature changes like no other guitar. The expensive guitars are high maintenance. My Takamine is always there for me day in and day out. This guitar has a cedar top. It sounded great the first time I played it and 100’s and 100s of gigs later – it still sounds great! I have played hundreds of gigs on that guitar. I played at the Mayflower Hotel in Washington DC for three years five nights a week. This guitar has been the consummate workhorse and has passed every performance test along the way.
I don’t see a serial number. I’m not sure what year it was built. I did replace the pre-amp on the guitar a few months ago, but that’s to be expected  - electronics wear out. The new thing on this guitar that we didn’t see on any of our previous instruments is the fact that there is wood missing from the top right portion of the body of the guitar. That’s called a cutaway. It allows the performer to easily stretch their fingers to the end of the fret board. I really like it. Of course classical guitarists can extend their fingers up the neck of traditional classical guitars, but the cutaway is awesome for those of us that do a lot of electric guitar work. Now, I have heard that having a cutaway with a strictly acoustic classical guitar greatly affects the sound of that instrument. That makes perfect sense to me, but having a cut away on a gigging classical guitar for restaurants and theatre gigs also makes sense to me.  
And now the Godin ACS slim SA. This guitar is cool. It has a solid body so no matter how loud you play; you won’t get any feedback like you might get on an acoustic like the Takamine. The Godin also has the capability of being played as a midi guitar. There is a midi out on the guitar that can then be connected to a midi effects rack such as the Roland GR20. I have included a link for a video where you can learn all about the capabilities of this awesomely versatile guitar, truly a part of the next generation of instruments.
It’s perfect for recording and composing. You can play any line on the guitar and since it records with midi information you can assign any instrument to the guitar part that you record such as flute, trumpet, or even an organ. Of course there’s no substitute for having real players but everyone doesn’t have a budget for hiring musicians and even if they do hire live musicians for their recordings, the midi is a fantastic way to sketch out ideas for a variety of instrumental parts. This guitar provides an incredibly creative outlet for guitar players that they didn’t have for many years prior, so thank you Godin!
And so this wraps up my very first blog series! I’ve written inspirational pieces, funny pieces and now a researched informational series of pieces. What’s next? I have no idea. Stay tuned. I need to get back to composing in my studio. I have played very little guitar for the past few months spending a lot of time on the “Waves of Soul” record release and then I rolled into this blog series. I’ll look to find a nice balance between music and blogging. I also enjoy doing a bit of teaching and performing. I’m going to Florida and Mississippi to perform on stage with a Christmas musical. That will be in a few weeks. It should provide me with some really interesting material, maybe a travel and life on the road blog. We might even run into a drummer sault or two along the way (I describe that in on of my older blogs).
Until next time, surf it mellow my brothers and sisters!             


Brent Mason really leans into his acoustic/electric on this video!

How to use a Godin Multiac Nylon SA


Takamine is showed above. Below is the Godin.




No comments:

Post a Comment