Monday, August 15, 2011

It's Opposite Day!


     All right - it’s opposite day. I have talked about the fact that if you fail to make a plan, then, you plan to fail. Well, forget about that for this blog! I once heard Willard Scott (from the Today Show) say, “if you want to make God laugh, then make a plan.” I remember being struck by that statement. It made me laugh, it was thought provoking, and it was incredibly liberating for me - all at the same time. It made me consider the fact that maybe I wasn't God, and I didn't have the last word on whether or not my plans would work out, regardless of how meticulous I was in the planning and execution phases. Then I thought, what a great life it would be if I could relinquish that responsibility - after all I'm not God. I would just be the best Dave Reynolds that I could be and leave it at that. Just do your best and forget the rest.Yeah, that's the ticket.
     So now I like to do some things in my life without having a plan. Sometimes you have to just say “what the hell.” Dive right into your project. Do your best and forget the rest. Do something just because you enjoy it. It might be a passion, or a curiosity. Who knows, you might stumble onto a career path that you have never even considered, or imagined for yourself. I have always enjoyed writing. Well, okay I did struggle with my Doctoral paper just a bit (actually, a lot, if the truth be told). But, I enjoy writing from my heart – life’s research. I did some journal writing when my mother was dying of cancer. I was in high school at the time. The process of putting my feelings and stories to paper was very therapeutic. This is an example of something that I don’t want to plan. I just want to let the words flow, and leave it at that. If this journey turns into something larger someday, then I will make a plan. But, I am just going with the flow for now. As they say in So Cal, no worries bro. Until next time - Surf it Mellow Brothers and Sisters - the MD

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Dave. I enjoyed the blog. I found that it reasonated well with me. And since I am on vacation, I have the time to spell out why:
    1. I also journaled while my Dad was dying... very good medicine for digesting the grief. I once thought about publishing, but ran out of time. Besides, the most important thing is to go thru the process.
    2. I always enjoy seeing Biblical principles reflected in people's lives. Your thoughts on doing something you find good or fun "just because" is very healthy and reminds me of two principles out of the book of Ecclesiastes in the Bible:
    1. Ecc 1:1 "Everything is Meaningless", and ....
    2. Ecc 11:8-9 "8 However many years a man may live, let him enjoy them all. But let him remember the days of darkness, for they will be many. Everything to come is meaningless. Be happy, young man, while you are young, and let your heart give you joy in the days of your youth. Follow the ways of your heart and whatever your eyes see, but know that for all these things God will bring you to judgment."

    So one of the things God teaches me is that if it is good and enjoyable, then you should do it. Sorry if this was a bit long winded... it's just the engineer in me.... I like to leave the rationales for any proofs I provide ;-)

    ReplyDelete